Thursday, March 19, 2020

Living Through History, Part III

Today was much better. Much, much better.

I still feel a little fragile around the edges, of course. Things are just making me sad, even though I know this isn't forever. It's going to be a LONG time, but it won't be forever.

I spent the afternoon at my parents' house. It makes me uneasy, a little, to think that I could still be a silent carrier, but they told me last night, after I assume my daddy read this blog and a few of my FB comments, that if I didn't come there, they were coming here. They were -- rightly -- worried about my state of mind, and so was I. My mom and I played games and worked part of a puzzle, and watched King Ralph, and went for a walk around their neighborhood, and ate my mom's homemade rocky road ice cream. Dad just watched shitty TV... (love you daddy!) (How did that weird Mel Gibson movie end?)

And our new dishwasher was installed this morning! It's been almost a YEAR since our other one crapped out completely on us, and though Jack is amazing and washes pretty much 90% of the dishes, it also doesn't get done daily and though it doesn't bother me to have dishes in the sink (I know, I'm a heathen, whatever... I blame cohabitating in college with someone who used a new bowl for every bowl of cereal, even if eaten in succession, so after a night up studying for prelims, the sink would have like eight bowls in it. I learned to ignore it.) (I'm also just a slob. I can claim it). Anyway. But Jack takes F O R E V E R to wash dishes (he's just slow and distractible) and though I'm pretty fast at it, it's hard on my eczema even with gloves, and now with my back situation, it's kind of a weird angle and I inevitably get a weird back cramp. A new dishwasher is going to be heaven. HEAVEN.  We splurged a bit and got a pretty nice LG one, with a third rack and a steam option (not sure what that's about yet but HEY) and I'm super stoked that this finally happened.

So tonight, I'm going to bed in better spirits than last night, but also just ... the rate at which everything shifts is almost incomprehensible to me. Oh, and the best news of the day is that Jack is pretty sure tomorrow will be the last day he's required to physically be at work and he can start being home to work and my anxiety will be cut in HALF if that happens. Evidently, there are people working in his office that don't even think this shit is real and I just ... it makes me fearful every day that he's going to track it into our house.  One more day. Just one more day and he'll be working from home.  And thank the Universe that he's properly employed and not still counting on Uber for his livelihood because holy shit what a scary thing to think about.

1 comment:

  1. I know people who also don't think it's a real threat.

    She works in a jail (hello high risk situation!) and can potentially exposr us at the barn (thank God they have hand sanitizer there even if I'm allergic to it and it kills my hands).

    ReplyDelete